Still not quite…

June 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

IMG_20140630_213528

Early start this morning, the rigger from the chandlers (who’d made up the new cap shrouds) swung by just after 8. He took a look and suggested I file out the holes in the chainplates to fit the new 6mm clevis pins (the holes were 5mm so it wasn’t much). He even lent me a file.

Once that had been done I hustled a mate, and we got the mast up with the help of the A frame I’d built. I’ll try and do a post on that separately but I followed the instructions I’d been sent by Ian Anderson of the Hurley Owners Association. It was pretty straightforward and remarkably effortless. Still pretty nerve wracking though!

Once the mast was up it very quickly became apparent that something wasn’t quite right as the mast wouldn’t go upright. At first we thought the cap shrouds were too short, and then the forestay was too loose so I had to take the furling apart again to tighten the forestay, and then discovered that a load of aluminium filings from shortening the foil had slid down the inside of foil and were all in the bearings, so that all had to come apart and be cleaned and regreased.

So, after a day of faffing and a return trip from the rigger it’s now looking like the back stays are too short.

I hoped this wouldn’t happen but kinda not surprised; after all I have shortened the forestay by 3 inches and if the back was anything other than very loose this was going to happen.

So tomorrow I need to sort out the running rigging which seems to all be the wrong side of the spreaders and then extend the split back stay, probably just with some shackles. Not a pretty solution but it should work for now until I have figured out the tuning.

However, she’s looking a lot straighter, eh? Certainly straighter up to the spreaders than she was before, and lengthening the back stay may help the top half (depending on how bent the mast actually is…)

Fingers crossed.

So near, yet so far…

June 29, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Hurley 22 Stepping Mast

Mammoth day yesterday, got the mast aboard and dressed, connected the VHF and successfully radio checked with Portland Coastguard, got the light working and then ran out of steam about 7pm after a 12 hour day…

This morning I got the new spreaders on after a bit of re-engineering and attached the back stay. Went to attach the new cap shrouds and realised the new clevis pins are too big for the existing chain plates. The chandlers is shut now til tomorrow.

Bugger.

As soon as I get this sorted though, I can launch!

The evolving riddle of Duet’s mast rake – Part 3

June 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm

So Duet’s mast was too raked and her forestay and roller reefing foil was too long… and then one evening I remembered that on a historical survey in her paperwork there was a picture of the foot of her mast showing corrosion, and there was a receipt from a local yard for removing 25mm off the bottom of the mast.  (This survey had been done in 2011 and had shown up a few issues that had been rectified before sale).

My hunch was then that her mast had been shortened to remove the corrosion but her rigging had not been readjusted correctly…

Survey Mast Corrosion

This is the picture from the survey of her mast corrosion before it was fixed.

So I contacted the previous owner who did confirm that this was the case and the work had been carried out by a professional yard.  Apparently 2 inches were removed from the bottom of the mast, and rather than adjust the rigging, the chainplates were shortened by the same amount… except that the forestay has no chainplate and couldn’t be shortened.  So they left it long!  The previous owner also admitted that he never sailed her again after this work was completed.

Professional Repair

This is a picture, also taken from Duet’s file, of the repair immediately after it was done. The yellow stuff is Duralac to help prevent further corrosion.

At least this confirms what I kind of have already figured out!  As mitigation on my part, when I bought Duet she was on the hard in a very tightly packed yard and it wouldn’t have been so obvious to see that she was so raked.  I did start to notice it when she was in the marina but thought it might have been due to ballast (she did have a very heavy engine hung on the transom) but it was only this year when she was out on the hard again at the Academy that it really started to niggle me and I put it together with the weather helm.

However, the previous owner did also give me some advice for reducing the weather helm:

  • Keep weight out the back end, keep the prop out of the water (but he had the outboard mounted on the transom and I’ve put it back in the well)
  • Reefing the main first (this will move the centre of effort forward)
  • Ease the mainsheet (again this will move the centre of effort forward)
  • He also recommended new sails, apparently he’s got a fully battened main on his new boat which made a big difference (this is quite an expensive option though)

Note:
I’ve done some research on this now and it seems that taking off a few inches of corrosion on the bottom is a really common, and is the correct way to fix this issue. Apparently if a mast fails it usually goes further up around the spreaders.  As long as the mast is sat in the shoe correctly it’s not a weak danger point. So that gives me peace of mind at least.

 

 

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close