How I Saved My Sole

May 28, 2014 at 7:17 pm

When I bought Duet she had fitted carpet.  It was green (though it may once have been blue?), hessian backed and full of sand.  It was stuck to her 3 piece plywood cabin sole with lots of double sided carpet tape and it had to go.  I think ripping that out was one of the first things I ever did.

However, I was only able to remove 2 pieces and it left a horrible residue that stuck to your flip flops so I quickly bought some cheap door mats that didn’t fit properly and looked worse than the carpet had been.  The middle section remained carpeted as it was not only sticky taped down but was also sandwiched in place underneath a corroded table leg fitting.  It wasn’t nice.

Hurley 22 Cabin Sole

Before: Green carpet, sand and corrosion.

Originally I had planned to bin the lot after cutting some new ones using them as a template. However, to be honest my woodworking skills are pretty minimal and besides I don’t own a jigsaw, so one day while I was prepping the rubbing strake I had a bit of left over Nitromors which I slapped on the glue tape, and lo… it was dissolved and could be scraped off!  I brought the boards home for some intensive TLC.

Now, anyone who knows me will know that I do rather like stripes… And I have always thought that the lovely striped teak and holly cabin soles on boats are very smart. However, teak and holly inlaid 12mm ply is an eye watering £300 a sheet, while laminate to stick on top yourself is over £150 a sheet. Way out of my budget.

Then I saw this awesome hack with a roll of masking tape and some white paint. I clearly had to give that a go!

The sticky tape and varnish took 2 goes with Nitromors to remove, and I scraped off the gunk each time before reapplying.  Finally it had a good scrub with a hard brush and some washing up liquid.  Once it was dry it had a good sand and then a wipe over with some white spirit to remove the dust before I started with the masking tape and white paint trickery.

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

Left: one go with the Nitromors, Centre: Original, Left: 2 coats of nitromors and sanded

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

Stripped, sanded and ready to go

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

Masking up. I did this by eye using the width of the tape

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

Painted with a watered down white emulsion

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

“The Reveal” Unfortunately I didn’t press the edge of the tape down well enough in places and there was some bleed. But I neatened it up again by cleaning the edges with a fresh paint brush dipped in water before it dried.

Cabin Sole Refurbishment Hurley 22

Back in the kitchen it got 2 coats of exterior silk varnish.

I have also bought 2 new brass ring pulls from which came from Australia via eBay as they were 50mm size which seems to be non-standard for the UK.  They cost $30 including shipping, so that’s £15 for the pair.  I also bought a new table base from eBay for £7 – it’s plastic so won’t corrode again.

I’m really chuffed with the result, it’s a vast improvement – they’ve gone from “Grotty to Yachty” (sorry I couldn’t resist that)

There are a few blemishes in the wood, and the stripes aren’t perfect but it’s flooring and hopefully won’t be looked at that closely. Anyway it’s all “character”, eh?

 

How I removed the foam backed headlining

May 9, 2014 at 8:23 am

Finally near the end of removing Duet’s head lining and I’ve made a little video on how I’ve done it.

I posted it to the Hurley Owners Yahoo Group yesterday and David came back quickly and said he’d been told by a boat builder to use paint brush cleaner liquid and it had worked a treat (and was cheap).  I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, as it were…  Though I’m not sure paint brush cleaner is any easier as it would have been pretty suffocating in the cabin.

However, I am going to try the paint brush cleaner myself as even the wire brushes have left a little glue residue (that I was just going to try and paint over) and I also think it will be easy to spray it in the corners/crevices where the wire brush won’t go.  (And in the lockers as it was pretty difficult to get in the corners!)

Anyway, here’s the video:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close