May Bank Holiday #1

May 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Well, I took advantage of a hiatus in work and have just returned from what seemed like a mammoth 4 days down at the boat, though I only appear to have managed to cross 2 things off the list this weekend!

Annoyingly, I spent a fair bit of time on ‘rework’ after I lifted the lid on the lazarette to find everything covered in blue dust after the sand blasting, even though I’d previously scrubbed it out…

Blue lazarette Hurley 22 Duet

The blue lazarette before I cleaned it (again)

I was also really dismayed (read: p****d off) to discover that after my heroic attempts with the rubbing compound, Cillit Bang and polish that my neighbour had managed to liberally drizzle the starboard side with blue Tiger Xtra antifouling!  Luckily the yard sorted that out and the owner was made to purchase me some No. 3 Thinners from Bussells and with some elbow grease and another polish it did come off, though for a bit it looked like I was going to have awful blue streaked staining down one side.  It will need another wax though… Interestingly the owner swore blind it wasn’t him as he didn’t get any on his glasses.  It must have been really windy and just come off the roller and gone sideways straight onto my boat.  Some of the drizzles were over 3 inches long!  Let that be a lesson to us all.

Slowly progressed on the interior, just about managed to finish with the wire brush and drill this weekend – I have a video update here:

I also managed to get the middle section of the bilge boards / cabin sole off by unbolting it from underneath. There is a crack in it (circled red below) and it’s pretty wobbly, even with the boards in.  I was also really surprised to see how flimsy the middle section  is! I think this will need to be repaired with some glass matting to strengthen it up somewhat. I had originally intended to replace the boards with new but I think they’ve shown surprising promise after a little Nitromors so I have plans for them and have bought them all home for a little tlc.

Cabin Sole Hurley 22 Duet

The red circle marks a crack. Very wobbly.

I managed to get 3 coats of Olj Deks on the brightwork on the cabin roof  before the rain set in.  Always good to see your progress… Annoyingly though I left the replacement teak strip at home (I bought it from Taff Howells at Beaulieu last week end).  There’s nothing like manky teak deck fittings to make a boat look unloved, and it’s not that much of a job to turn them around. I’m loving the Deks Olj, think it has a really nice finish and it’s really easy to apply.  No need to worry about a drippy finish like with varnish.

brightwork Hurley 22 Duet

In other news, I have booked my re-launch for the 3rd June.  Fingers crossed I should make it: I need a nice run of 4 days to epoxy and antifoul the bottom and I think I can get the painting done in another 2 days or so…  But at least I think I’m nearly at the end of the really grotty jobs now.

All systems go!

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close